Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Oh We Love SNOW BIZ!

So, this post is about two weeks late, and for that I appologize. I could run down my list of excuses here, but that would be a waste of your time.

On December 10, 2008, South Louisiana was abuzz with one word:

Snow. Snow? Snow!

It never snows here. The last (and only) South Louisiana snowfall during my lifetime was on Christmas day, 2004. We had an inch or two, and the whole day was coated with magic. But that old Christmas memory was nothing compared to what happened on December 11.

At 6:30, I sat at my kitchen table, eating organic chocolate yogurt and studying up for that Chemistry test (which I didn't want to take) when my dad pointed out of the window and cried:

"AMELIA! LOOK!"
I looked, and saw my front yard flecked with snowflakes. Bright and clean, light and wonderful snowflakes. I threw down my textbook (but not my yogurt, because it would've gotten everywhere, and that'd be gross) and ran outside, half crying and half screaming. I wanted to scream "IT'S SNOWING!" but I was feeling too emotional to form actual words, so instead I screamed something like "AHAHAHAHAHHLLHKODKHHA!" and woke up all of my neighbors.

Here I am when the snow had just begun to fall. Something about the lighting of this picture makes my yard look eerily picturesque. For some reason, it reminds me of Willie Loman's backyard in the VHS version of Death of a Salesman... but this is irrelevant. Back to snow.

After a few minutes of running around in glee, I headed off to school. My bus driver drove up (yes, I take the bus, and yes, I know that's lame) with his windsheild almost burried in snow.

Have you ever noticed how even the most ordinary things, like a school bus, look beautiful covered in snow?

Our school's administration was not very well equipped for the snowy day, never having had to face one before. They decided that to keep things safe, they would make snow ball fighting punishable by suspension. So what do you think was the first thing I did when I got to school?

SNOWBALL FIGHT!

You've never lived until you've seen a bunch of southern kids playing in the snow. We're all so excited and happy. It's a beautiful thing.

It was funny seeing how people tried to dress for the snow. No one around here has snowsuits, so most people just bundled up in lots of jackets. Others, however, simply wore thin hoodies and claimed "I'm not cold." I was greeted with a lot of shock for wearing a skirt, but I was also wearing those American Apparel knee highs over nylon leggings, which kept my legs ridiculously warm. Those who have never worn American Apparel knee highs just don't know how warm they are.


See? I felt pretty snuggly. But maybe it was those bright yellow earmuffs that kept me warm. I love those things! I purchased them for 50 cents on the hottest day of summer, and they've since done me a lot of good.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed reading about my magical snow day. And to those of you who have it on a regular basis, enjoy your snow!

-Amelia

No comments: